Friday, July 6, 2007

Kickball isn't just for Kids

I've been pretty melancholy about my move back to Philadelphia since graduation in May. After 4 years of living with some of my best friends, we've all been suddenly scattered to throughout the country - going back to hometowns, taking jobs, traveling. So it's just lonesome little me in Philadelphia and I've been pretty worried about opportunities to make new friends at 22 considering I won't be in a classroom 9 months a year anymore.

Then I happened upon the World Adult Kickball Organization. Kickball? For the over 21 set? What a great idea! Except that the only two divisions in PA were in West Chester and Pittsburgh - a significant schlep from my home. So much for something to do on my Thursday nights, I thought.

Until...I got an email yesterday morning informing me that due to popular demand WAKA had created a Philadelphia division (PA Liberty)! *happy dance* I signed up immediately and I'm hoping that there are a significant number of Philly folks who feel similarly lest they cancel the division due to lack of participation. I love the thrill of trying new things and meeting new people and am pretty excited about getting to engage in a middle school past time on an adult level. I'm pretty sure kickball beats the gym any day. And I am assured that I will be spending at least one night a week outdoors instead of moping with my cats about leaving the excitement of New York City.

I haven't really thought about the fact that athletic activities are not my forte at this point, but if I can knit, I'm pretty sure kickball will come easily enough. Luckily for me, it doesn't take much actually athletic finesse.

1 comment:

PURLEWE said...

in the winter (jan-may) there is a recreational volleyball league. meets on tuesdays. No previous volleyball skill nec.